5 Things To Do If Hurt At Work

No matter how careful and conscientious you and your employer are, accidents can and do happen.  If you’re injured at work, there are certain things you must do to be sure you get the care and compensation you deserve.

1 – Report It

In order to get workers’ comp, disability, or any other benefits, there needs to be a record of the accident.  Starting this process is simple – report the accident to your supervisor, HR or any other necessary parties.   They will start a file documenting what happened, where, when, how, and anyone else who was involved or witnessed the accident.  It’s imortant to do this while the situation is fresh in your mnd.  You can always add details later if you remember more.

2 – Seek Medical Help

Even if the injury seems minor, it’s important you get medical attention from your doctor.  They will conduct a physical exam, which may or may not include x-rays or other imaging diagnostics to determine the true pysical extent of your injuries.  They will also document, from a medical standpoint, the extent and severity of your injuries.  Depending on the situation, your doctor may also suggest you obtain a psychological evaluation.  It’s important for you to follow all of your doctor’s recommendations and inform your employer of each step.

3 – Take Time To Recover

If your doctor advises it, take time off to recover from your injuries.  Make sure you’re coordinating this time with your employer and get the necessary written documentation from your doctor explaining your injuries and expected recovery time.  Check in with your doctor at suggested intervals and make sure you have medical clearance before returning to work.

4 – Know If You Need A Lawyer

Hopefully your injury is minor and your employer is prepared to provide you with the time and money you need to recover.  Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case.  If your employer is putting up road blocks, or your injury is serious, it may be time to get legal help.  At the Law Offices of Carolina K. Tumminelli, PLLC, we’re here to help you get the compensation and/or retraining you’re entitled to after your New Hampshire or Massachusetts workplace injury.

5 – Return To Work Or School

When and if you’re able, return to work.  If your injury means you’re no longer able to do the job you once did, you may be entitled to work reassignment and/or retraining.  If neither of these options is viable for you due to your injury, you may be entitled to disability payments.

Disability Payment Distributions – If you’re unable to return to work or be retrained to do another job, you may be entitled to disability payments.  A lawyer can help you determine your eligibility and assist you through the complex maze of red tape involved in becoming approved for these payments.  You’re more likely to be approved for payments the first time with a skilled lawyer, like us, fighting for you.